10 August 2016
Donations paid into the Charities Aid Foundation to help support good causes exceeded £500 million for the first time in 2015/16.
Level of giving among individuals and companies who use CAF to support good causes rose for the fourth consecutive year.
CAF’s annual report shows a record £524 million was paid into charitable accounts by donors, with £462 million distributed to charities.
CAF manages donations on behalf of wealthy philanthropists, 2,500 businesses and more than 250,0000 people. Many donations are paid out right away to tens of thousands of good causes, while some use their CAF accounts to grow philanthropic funds over time.
The 2015/16 annual Trustees’ Report shows that:
- Among major donors, there was a 10% increase in donations into CAF Charitable Trust accounts and legacies compared to the previous year. The amount they paid out to charities also rose - from £156 to £164 million.
- Regular givers donated £104 million to their favourite causes through CAF – up £4 million on the previous year.
- Companies paid £85 million into CAF Company Accounts – up £3 million.
- More than £76 million was donated by employees of more than 2,500 firms through their payroll under Give As You Earn, the UK’s leading payroll giving service.
CAF works with 50,000 charities, channelling vital donations and providing services which make a real difference on the ground. The report details the growing levels of support that CAF has been able to provide to charities in the past 12 months:
- CAF Bank has now loaned £46 million to charities helping them to build homes, grow their support and develop new sources of income. It marked a significant increase on the previous year when £20 million was loaned to charities.
- CAF Donate, the online fundraising platform, helped charities raise £23 million.
- More than 1,400 charities and businesses took part in last year’s record- breaking #GivingTuesday campaign, co-ordinated in the UK by CAF.
CAF Chief Executive John Low said:
“The role of CAF has always been to support the work of charities and help people to give. Over the past year this has happened on record scale, with the amount being donated through CAF passing half a billion pounds for the first time.
“This incredible level of support for good cause is befitting of one of the world’s most generous countries.
“Much of these donations are paid out right away to tens of thousands of charities while others build up over time as people and businesses grow their philanthropic funds for the future.
“Thanks to the generosity of CAF customers we have been able to support charities making a real difference to people’s lives, whether its building schools in Uganda, providing desperately needed new affordable housing closer to home or working with retailers to ensure that good causes feel the benefit of the plastic bag levy.
“Uncertainty over the economy and record-low interest rates are undoubtedly going to have an impact on charities, including CAF. Over the next year we will continue to build on the strong progress we have made to provide greater support to charities and encourage people to give even more generously.”
Notes to editors
The full annual report and financial statements for the year ended 30 April 2016 can be found online here