About the CAF Advocacy for Development (A4D) Fund
Our aim is to mobilise targeted financial support for
opportunistic global advocacy initiatives - in the UK and Europe -
through small scale, one-off strategic grants.
What will the Advocacy for Development
(A4D) Fund support?
The goals, objectives and criteria set out below explain
key areas of interest, in terms of the projects that
this fund will consider funding:
CAF A4D will support advocacy efforts in Europe across a broad
range of global development issues (with a primary focus on
health and agriculture) that aim to:
- Secure more and better resources for global development
- Raise public awareness about global development issues and
- Improve communications across the global development
- Create an enabling policy environment for development in donor
countries and global forums
- Timely and responsive support, sensitive to funding
opportunities as they arise, so that projects achieve their
potential for social impact (including increased awareness,
funding, engagement and/or understanding).
- Generate additional and necessary financial assistance to
support some of the most pressing global opportunities around the
- Increase action and the sense of urgency at grassroot and
institutional levels, from awareness raising to high level policy
- Demonstrable impact against the overarching CAF Advocacy for
Development (A4D) Fund aims and objectives shall take priority -
most notably in relation to global health and agriculture.
- The Advocacy for Development (A4D) Fund will make grants to
projects that aim to make a demonstrable difference to development
issues globally in line with the objectives and goals above.
- Most projects will require a start date within the next three
- Projects will not normally last for more than one year.
- Grants will range in size from £20,000 and £50,000 sterling,
with an average grant size of £35,000.
- In exceptional circumstances grants of up to £100,000 may be
awarded to projects lasting up to two years. These applications
will be considerably more competitive.
- All organisations/projects must be charitable under UK law as
determined by CAF’s validation processes. All non UK registered
charities must successfully complete this process to receive a
What will CAF Global Development Advocacy not support?
This fund will not support projects that:
- Are likely to influence the outcome of any election for public
office or to carry on any voter registration drive
- Lobby activity or otherwise support attempts to influence
local, state, federal, or foreign legislation
- Organisations/ projects that are not considered to be
charitable under UK law
- The Advocacy for Development (A4D) Fund is a rapid response
fund and as such aims to take applications from expression of
interest stage to a decision within 4-8 weeks, depending on
- CAF will work with eligible applicants to develop a strong
application with a clearly articulated theory of change before
finalising the application.
- All grant decisions are made by CAF with non-binding
inputs and recommendations provided by an independent panel of
- The Advocacy for Development (A4D) Fund does not accept
unsolicited applications. Instead we request that applicants first
complete and submit this form.