India Giving is a research report designed to enhance
understanding of the nature of giving in India. The report is based
on a survey of 8,985 adults across 20 cities. It includes findings
on donors’ motivation for giving, the causes they support, and
their attitudes to giving.
Key findings from the report include:
- 84% of people donated money to an individual or an organisation
in the past year.
- 27% of people gave money to a charitable organisation.
- 70% of donors prefer to donate direct to beneficiaries.
- Personal experience is the number one driver for giving, cited
by 70% of people.
- People are also motivated to give by their upbringing, family
values marking special occasions.
- The biggest barrier to giving, cited by 32% of people, is not
being able to afford to give.
- The top five causes that Indians would like to give to in
future are religion, disability, homelessness, the elderly and
- 52% of donors believe that a ‘lack of transparency hinders
donations to NGOs’.
Download the report