A global view of giving trends
Update: The latest version of the World Giving Index -
Giving Index 2014 - is now available - download the
report, view the world map and join in the conversation on
This is the third edition of the World Giving Index, the largest
study into charitable behaviour across the globe, involving 160
countries in total.
The report is based on over half a million interviews conducted
by Gallup since 2007, as part of their World Poll survey.
The Index is based on an average of three measures of giving
behaviour - the percentage of people who donate money to charity,
volunteer their time, and help a stranger, in a typical
This year's report results show that levels of involvement in
giving - for all three of these measures - fell between 2010 and
2011, and were also down on 2007. The report shows how this mirrors
global economic patterns.
The report includes:
- analysis of levels of giving worldwide
- an index of all countries ranked by their average on the three
- insight into fluctuations in the three giving behaviours
- commentary on changes over time, including by country, by
region and across continents
- recommendations for what governments, companies, individuals,
and civil society organisations can do to enhance giving
Join us on Twitter at #worldgiving.