Investment involves risk. The value of investments, and the income from them, can go down as well as up and an investor may get back less than the amount invested.  There is no guarantee about the level of capital or income returns that will be generated. Past performance is not a guide to future results.


We use our expertise to source articles and opinions that take a critical look at the investments market. These articles, provided by leading experts, offer insight into the state of the investments market for charities, plus what to look out for.

Please note
: The views and opinions expressed in these articles are those of the authors, and do not necessarily reflect CAF’s views.

  • 2 January 2020 

    Why solar energy’s prospects look bright for 2020

    Mark Lacey, Head of Commodities, Schroders, Alexander Monk, Global Renewables, Analyst, Schroders and Felix Odey, Global Renewables Analyst, Schroders. As the long-term transition towards renewable energy continues apace, we see a sunny outlook this year for solar energy companies, as well as onshore wind and energy storage.

  • 31 December 2019 

    The 17 solutions to the world's greatest challenges

    Lyn Tomlinson, Wealth Planning Director. The United Nations' 17 Sustainable Development Goals are focusing the efforts and resources of governments, donors and – crucially – private investors.
  • 13 December 2019 

    Is there an ESG bubble?

    Ryan Smith, Head of ESG Research. Are too many investors chasing the same names? It’s a question we’ve had from a couple of clients and prospects in recent meetings.
  • 28 November 2019 

    Sarasin welcomes IASB guidance on climate risk in accounting

    Natasha Landell-Mills, CFA. Partner, Head of Stewardship. The International Accounting Standards Board should be commended for its latest guidance on how companies should incorporate material climate risk into their accounts. This is a vital step in ensuring that financial flows are aligned with the Paris Climate Agreement’s goals of keeping global warming well below 2°C, and aiming for 1.5°C.
  • 28 November 2019 

    Going Green: a summary of our climate policy toolkit for investors

    Stephanie Kelly, Senior Political Economist, Jeremy Lawson, Chief Economist & Director, Aberdeen Standard research Institute, Nancy Hardie, Graduate, Research Institute. Climate change has become a central concern for investors. At Aberdeen Standard Investments (ASI), we have already made huge strides to enhance engagement with companies on climate risk, carbon-foot-printing portfolios and building tailored climate portfolio solutions.
  • 26 November 2019 

    Green growth: a low-carbon dream?

    Marc Hassler, Sustainable Investment Analyst. Reducing global production and consumption is gaining traction as a potential solution to the climate crisis. However, we think green growth is possible and highlight why investors should care.
  • 26 November 2019 

    2018 TCFD Disclosure Report

    How we consider climate-related risks and opportunities with regard to our business and our clients' investments.
  • 18 November 2019 

    Impact investing: making more of your capital work for your cause

    Emilie Shaw, Sustainable Investment Specialist, Cazenove Charities. Many long-term foundations spend just 3%-4% of their assets each year in support of its chosen cause. So what good is the other 96%-97% of the money achieving?
  • 14 November 2019 

    Climate Progress Dashboard: lack of action raises risk of significant disruption ahead

    Andrew Howard, Head of Sustainable Research, ESG, Schroders. The lack of progress so far on limiting temperature rises means more urgent action will be needed in the coming years.
  • 25 October 2019 

    Correlated Confusion

    Euan Ker. Edinburgh was host to the Ethical Finance Conference last week where Nicola Sturgeon, Craig Bonthron and other famous names presented. One of the panels discussed ESG data issues and the misconceptions that the market has with ESG rating agencies. I found one point particularly interesting, around ESG rating correlations.


Why do charities invest?

Making the most of your charity’s funds is one of the biggest responsibilities you face.

Is investing right for your charity?

Plan your charity’s investments

Once you’ve made the decision to invest, how do you research investment options?

Understanding investment choices

Manage your charity’s investments

How can you make sure that you’re getting the best from your investments?

Reviewing your portfolio