Share giving


You can put shares to good use by giving them to charity, because they can be more tax-effective than giving cash.

Request a call back


Did you know that donating shares is one of the most tax-effective ways to give to charity?

  • Giving HMRC qualifying shares to charity means you get Income Tax relief on the value of the shares as well as exemption from Capital Gains Tax.
  • You can give us your shares or sell us your shares which we will then sell to create sales proceeds to fund your CAF Charity Account or CAF Charitable Trust.
  • Alternatively, you can simply transfer the shares to us and these can be held in a CAF Charitable Trust to generate investment income (subject to our investment policy).

Not yet a CAF customer? Find out how we can support your charitable giving.


Gift your shares

Gift shares directly to us and we can place the proceeds in a CAF Charity Account or CAF Charitable Trust.

Find out more

Donate your shares

Selling shares yourself and donating the proceeds to your CAF Charitable Trust could be more tax effective for you.

Find out more

Sell your shares

You can sell your shares to us for less than their value and then the gain generated will be available to donate.

Find out more


Please contact your private client manager direct. Alternatively, our private client team are happy to advise about any aspect of giving, so please call 03000 123 028 (9am-5pm Monday - Friday).

Want to know more?


Request a call back from our expert team to find out more about how you can donate your shares

Request a call back today


From philanthropy to purpose

Laura Dosanjh, Senior Corporate Advisor, explores the key corporate responsibility trends in the financial services industry.

Giving Thought blog

The latest on key issues affecting civil society, philanthropy, social investment and using new technologies for social good.

Donation States

An international comparison of the tax treatment of donations and tax incentives for giving in 26 nations.


HMRC Qualifying Shares

A wide range of shares and securities can be gifted in this way. These include those listed or dealt on a recognised stock exchange in the UK and many international exchanges: the USA, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Japan, Colombo, Singapore, Johannesburg, Switzerland and the EU countries. We will be happy to advise you before you make your gift whether or not the shares are listed on a recognised stock exchange.

There are other investments that also qualify, including authorised unit trusts, UK open-ended investment company shares and certain foreign collective investment scheme holdings. We recommend that you seek confirmation from HMRC that your investment qualifies for Income Tax relief.

Tax Advice

We are unable to offer advice on personal tax issues. So if you are unsure of your tax situation, we recommend that you speak to a professional advisor or visit the website

Charities Aid Foundation © | Registered Charity Number 268369
25 Kings Hill Avenue, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent ME19 4TA Telephone: 03000 123 000
10 St. Bride Street, London EC4A 4AD Telephone: 03000 123 000